Friday, July 22, 2011

Lessons Learned in Cloth Diapering: The Basics

Here's a basic outline of the options out there for cloth diapering that  I have tried.

NOTE: I've included Amazon links throughout.  While sometimes their prices are a little more, they do have great prices, awesome customer service, and if you're like me and use swagbucks then you probably have gift cards burning a hole in your pocket.

The All-In-One Diaper (aka the AIO)
This is the diaper that is most similar to a disposable.  You just put it on EXACTLY like a disposable, and take it off the same way.  Nothing to stuff, no cover needed, can go under regular clothing.  This is typically the trimmest diaper, in my experience.  The cons:  they take FOREVER to dry.  I typically hang mine in the sun, and then follow it up with some dryer time.  If there is no sun, I run it through the dryer twice.
Brands I love:


 The Pocket Diaper
Pretty much exactly like an AIO only instead of all of the nice absorbent stuff being sewn in, the diaper is more of a "shell" and with a hole in it and you stuff it with absorbent stuff.  What you get is a diaper that goes on very similarly to a disposable, but doesn't have the LONG drying time of an AIO.  Also, you can customize the absorbency of the diaper.  You can make it REALLY trim but slightly less absorbent for day, or you can stuff it full for nighttime.  I'll make another blog post about what to stuff it with.  Stay tuned.
Brands I love:

  • BumGenius Pocket  Probably the most famous pocket diaper. 
  • Sunbaby Diaper.  These are an ebay diaper.  They are made in China (hence why they are so cheap) but I know someone who did testing on them and they meet all US standards for lead and all the other junk that you wouldn't want in a diaper.  I've heard that they aren't great on skinny babies.  Because my baby is a chunker, these are awesome.  :)  http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=sunbaby+diaper&_sacat=See-All-Categories
  • A note on Fuzzibunz:  Fuzzibunz are similar to BumGenius Pockets and lots of people love them.  I hated them.  Could never get the fit right, SUPER bulky, and they were constantly leaking.  Some people love them, though.  No judgement if you do too.  We just can't be friends.  



Fitted Diaper
A Fitted is a diaper that does not have a waterproof outer material, so you need to put a cover on it.  Now that my son is older, I don't really like them.  They tend to be too bulky for me.  I did love them when he was a newborn, though.
Brands I love:

  • Thirsties Fab Fitted.  These now are more of a customized size fit.  When I used them they were sized and awesome.  I'm sure these are great too.  
  • GoodMama.  These are like the Ferrari of cloth diapering.  Really expensive but really nice.  I once bought one on super clearance (I think I spend like $15) when I was pregnant, never used it, and sold it a few months ago for $65.  For reals.  These are like collectors items to some people, but for those of us who don't care they are just really great diapers.  http://shop.thegoodmama.com/category_s/20.htm
  • REALLY easy to make your own.  I made my own pattern.  I'll post it as a future blog post.
  PREFOLDS
I used prefolds when Asher was a newborn and had mixed feelings.  I recently ordered more to try again and they will be here tomorrow.  Stay tuned.  Prefold post to come.  :)

Flats
See future prefold blog post.  Same story as prefolds for right now.

Covers
If you are using prefolds, flats, or fitted diapers you need to have a waterproof cover.  Here's some options:


Phew.  That's a lot.  There are more options out there, but I'd say these are the basics and what I've had the most success with.  

Next cloth topic:  how to buy/sell used diapers to make them cost NOTHING.  That's right, I never  try not to spend more than $10 on a diaper and every a lot of the time I've sold one I've actually made a profit on it, making the diapers I've kept free or at least really really cheap.  I know it sounds like I'm trying to sell a pyramid scheme, but I'm not.  :)  There are resources out there to help make cloth diapering even more economical.  Post will come soon!!  For now, I have to go fold laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment